Before i get into this teaching tonight I really sensed that I was supposed to share briefly about a young man named Laurence Tisdall that God is using in an extraordinary manner regarding Dinosaurs & their existence during the Days of Adam & Eve and not before Adam was created, & because of his strong prayer life especially in tongues/devotion to the Kingdom of God & His Truth, while he is teaching on these things mostly to Atheists, the Lord Himself will show up at some of these Meetings/Conferences, walking down the center ai- sle walking right up unto the platform & entering into Laurence adding extra power/anointing which is when the Miracles begin to break out among the Atheists! Very encouraging to say the least because all of this belongs to us “In Christ”! And I say all of this in the context that even Secular Scientists/Paleo- ntologists are admitting that these Dinosaur Fossils are not as old as they first thought, plus they are discovering that many of the Dinosaurs died from some form of disease etc. which could have only happened at/after the Fall of Man- kind!! And all of this must be taught in the context with the “Old vs. Young Earth” controversy that has been raging as well as is raging in many of our Protestant Churches as well as Seminaries etc. regarding “6 Literal days of Creation” vs. “Progressive Creationism” over a period of million of years etc!!
2 Peter 1:2-11 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
2 May grace (God’s favor) and peace (which is perfect well-being, all necessary good, all spiritual prosperity, and freedom from fears and agitating passions and moral conflicts) be multiplied to you in [the full, personal, precise, and correct] knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
3 For His divine power has bestowed upon us all things that [are requisite and suited] to life and godliness, through the [full, personal] knowledge of Him Who called us by and to His own glory and excellence (virtue).
4 By means of these He has bestowed on us His precious and exceedingly great promises, so that through them you may escape [by flight] from the moral decay (rottenness and corruption) that is in the world because of covetousness (lust and greed), and become sharers (partakers) of the divine nature.
5 For this very reason, adding your diligence [to the divine promises], employ every effort in exercising your faith to develop virtue (excellence, resolution, Christian energy), and in [exercising] virtue [develop] knowledge (intelligence),
6 And in [exercising] knowledge [develop] self-control, and in [exercising] self-control [develop] steadfastness (patience, endurance), and in [exercising] steadfastness [develop] godliness (piety),
7 And in [exercising] godliness [develop] brotherly affection, and in [exercising] brotherly affection [develop] Christian love.
8 For as these qualities are yours and increasingly abound in you, they will keep [you] from being idle or unfruitful unto the [full personal] knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
9 For whoever lacks these qualities is blind, [spiritually] short sighted, seeing only what is near to him, and has become oblivious [to the fact] that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10 Because of this, brethren, be all the more solicitous and eager to make sure (to ratify, to strengthen, to make steadfast) your calling and election; for if you do this, you will never stumble or fall.
11 Thus there will be richly and abundantly provided for you entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
BREAKDOWN OF THE VERY LAST PART OF VERSE 10 – “for if you do this, you will never stumble or fall”
– KEY WORD: “IF” (CONDITIONAL)
– KEY WORD: “YOU” (YOURSELF)(not your neighbour nor your pastor etc. but you your- self taking full ownership, yet it is for your fellow believer as well as for your pastor etc.)
– KEY WORD: “DO” (DOER OF THE WORD/JAMES 1:22)
– KEY WORD: “THIS” (MEANING THE PRECEDING VERSES)
– KEY WORD: “YOU” (YOURSELF)
– KEY WORD: “WILL” (GUARANTEE)
– KEY WORD: “NEVER” (GREEK: NOT AT ALL – DOUBLE NEGATIVE / GREEK: EVER – DURATION), IN WHICH WE GET OR WORD “NEVER”!!
– KEY WORD: FALL (GREEK: TO TRIP, TO ERR, TO SIN, TO STUMBLE)
+++ COMMENT: THIS IS WHY IT IS CALLED “THE GOOD NEWS”!! NOT ONLY IN BEING SAVED FROM AN ETERNAL HELL, BUT GETTING FREE & STAYING FREE FROM ALL KINDS OF SIN & IT’S DOMINION!! SAVED/SOZOD FROM THE SIN NATURE!! ALL OF THIS HAVING TO DO WITH YOUR “SOUL” & NOT YOUR “RE- CREATED SPIRIT”!!WE SHOULD KNOW BY NOW THAT IN OUR NEW NATURE WE ARE “HOLY/BLAMELESS/RIGHTEOUS/BEYOND REPROACH” JUST AS JESUS IS BECAUSE WE HAVE HIS NATURE +++
QUICK REVIEW OF THE LAST TEACHING ON ONE POINT:
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS A “PERSON” BECAUSE HE HAS A “PERSON(ALITY) OR EVEN MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES AS WELL AS MANY “FUNCTIONS/OPERATIONS”, YET HE IS NOT A “HUMAN BEING” BUT HE DOES DWELL WITHIN “HUMAN BEINGS” THAT ARE “BORN OF HIM”!!
John 3:8 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) The wind blows (breathes) where it wills; and though you hear its sound, yet you neither know where it comes from nor where it is going. So it is with everyone who is “born of the Spirit”.(BORN OF GOD/BORN FROM ABOVE/BORN AGAIN/BORN OR INCORRUPTIBLE SEED/A NEW CREATION/PARTAKER OF THE DIVINE NATURE) ETC!! WE ARE VESSELS/ CARRIERS OF THE TRUTH BECAUSE OF WHO/WHAT DWELLS WITHIN EACH ONE OF US!
John 15:26 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
26 But when the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Standby) comes, Whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth Who comes (proceeds) from the Father, He [Himself] will testify regarding Me.
John 16:7-11 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
8 And when He comes, He will “convict and convince” (ἐλέγχω) the world and bring demonstration to it about sin and about righteousness (uprightness of heart and right standing with God) and about judgment:
9 About sin, because they do not believe in Me [trust in, rely on, and adhere to Me];
10 About righteousness (uprightness of heart and right standing with God), because I go to My Father, and you will see Me no longer;
11 About judgment, because the ruler (evil genius, prince) of this world [Satan] is judged and condemned and sentence already is passed upon him.
COMMENT REGARDING VERSE 8 – I’VE HEARD CERTAIN WELL KNOWN PREACHERS ON TV ETC. SAYING WITH GREAT CONVICTION THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT DOES NOT “CONVICT BELIEVERS” OF “SIN” BECAUSE THE IMMEDIATE CONTEXT IS TOWARDS THE “WORLD” AS IN THE SINFUL WORLD OF UNBELIEVERS!! THIS IS VERY TRUE REGARDING THE IMMEDIATE CONTEXT, BUT LET’S TAKE THIS ONE STEP FURTHER TO SEE WHERE ELSE THIS WORD “CONVICT” IN USED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT, BRINGING SOME LIGHT UPON THIS WHOLE ISSUE / FALSE TEACHING: (Now there is much truth to the fact that once we are Born of the Spirit etc. we are no longer “sinners” but “saints”, but this has to do with our re-created spirit/New Nature and not our “unsaved soul” (James 1:21)! And this is why some of these preachers are saying that the Holy Spirit will no longer convict the “saint” of any “sin”, yet how many know that even once you’ve been made a “saint” in Christ, you will still go on “sinning” in some areas depending upon the strongholds in your “soul”??!! And we just finished reading in 2Peter 1:10 which is everywhere in the NT that “saints” can still “sin”!! And since you can “fall/stumble” etc., what happens if you don’t get back up, which is where you get into this whole realm known as: “walking away from/losing your salvation, eternal security/once saved always saved” etc!!???
2 Timothy 4:2-4 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
2 Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.
3 For the time is coming when [people] will not tolerate (endure) sound and wholesome instruction, but, having ears itching [for something pleasing and gratifying], they will gather to themselves one teacher after another to a considerable number, chosen to satisfy their own liking and to foster the errors they hold,
4 And will turn aside from hearing the truth and wander off into myths and man-made fictions.
KEY WORDS: (V.2) “to show people in what way their lives are wrong”. (CONVICT)
KEY DEFINITIONS: GREEK: (ἐλέγχω) TO REBUKE, TO EXPOSE, TO SHOW TO BE GUILTY, TO CONVINCE WITH SOLID COMPELLING EVIDENCE, TO FIND FAULT,
COMMENT / OBSERVATION: THIS WHOLE CONTEXT DOES NOT HAVE TO DO WITH THE “WORLD” AS SOME WOULD SAY/HAVE SAID BECAUSE OF THE ADMONITION TO “PREACH” ETC., BUT TOWARDS “BELIEVERS” BECAUSE OF VERSE 3-4 ESPECIALLY VERSE 3 & THESE KEY WORDS SUCH AS “they will gather to themselves one teacher after another to a considerable number”!! The “world” are not the ones who are doing this but “believers” such as “church goers/carnal Christians” etc!!
COMMENT / OBSERVATION: Briefly I brought up this whole false indoctrination called “Universalism” etc. regarding every human being will end up being saved (Carlton Pearson etc.), which is rooted in/stems from the rejection of the Doctrine of Hell/Eternal Punishment & Damnation (Rob Bell/Love Wins etc.), pulling verses out of their proper context as well as ha- ving wrong definitions to specific Greek words etc!! I’m not a big fan of CS Lewis but he did say as many others that if there was one Doctrine that he could/would like to remove from the Bible it would be this whole indoctrination on/about “Hell” etc. going on to say that if he did this he would have to remove other vital doctrines from the Bible especially from the NT! If you remove “Hell” you will also need to remove such doctrines such as “Justification/Salvation/ Redemption/Reconciliation/Atonement/The Cross/Sin Offering/The need to the New Birth” etc., basically needing to get rid of most of the whole Bible especially the NT, including the “In- carnation” etc! And all of this is nothing new but even at this time there are people out there that want to rewrite the Bible as well as writing a new one! And this is exactly where we are/the Ch- urch is heading towards in these Last of the Last Days! Fun wow!
++ NOTE: As I was sharing these things, Pastor Emmanuel “interrupted” me in saying that all of these things that I was sharing was very “interesting” because on the very same day that we had this Bible Study he had a conversation earlier on with a “Pastor” over the phone for at least 1hr. with this other pastor saying that as “leaders” etc. we did not have the right to correct peo- ple/telling or showing them where they were wrong in their beliefs/conducts etc. but our sole responsibility was to “love (on) them” etc. which Emmanuel fully disagreed with him, so I even mentioned Hebrews12 & so many other references!! And one of the main reasons why “lead- ers” are (so) afraid to bring “correction” is because if they do, the people will end up “leaving”, & when “people” leave, their “$$/wallets” etc. also leaves with them!! Emmanuel said with me touching on this today was very interesting to say the least because the two of us had not talked about this at all, confirming that the Lord was the one who had me sh- aring these things tonight, bringing encouragement not only to me but to him as well, proving that we are on the same page/in line with the Spirit etc!! As a parent you should discipline/cor- rect your child because you “love” them etc., so how much more with God towards His own “erring/wayward” etc. children??
Another problem in many churches is that we’ve got “leaders” that are so convinced about some favorite/pet doctrine yet it’s a “wrong doctrine” leading to a “wrong conviction”!! And this is where I mentioned about Dave Roberson mentioning that whole congregations are being misled etc. because the people have no discernment when it comes to the errors being fostered as truth from the pulpits etc!! Obviously I believe in “leaders” but when the “sheep” give more attention to the “under shepherds” instead of to the “Chief Shepherd” etc., this is where we get into all ki- nds of problems because of “Pastor so & so said this & that etc. therefore it has to be right” etc!!
And the “leaders” themselves should be the very first ones to be on guard for themselves against being deceived themselves so that they don’t end up deceiving others/those they are leading etc!
Another huge problem that I’m seeing right now especially with the vast amount of kno- wledge/information that we have access to over/on the Internet is that you can almost find any Book/Article etc. that will back up & confirm your errors/wrong convictions wh- ich is actually found in 2Tim.4:3 with these key words “they will gather to themselves one teacher (books etc.) after another to a considerable number, chosen to satisfy their own liking and to foster the errors they hold”!!
And when it comes to this “Universalism” etc. you would hardly hear about it 20-40 etc. years ago (yet it was around hundreds of years ago) because it was so “taboo” because we all knew that it was “wrong”! And there is such a “desire” to hear these falsehood be- cause it gives people the false sense of security that they can live as they please yet still make it into Heaven when they die, or worse comes to worse even if there is such a thi- ng as “Hell”, at least I will know that I won’t be in there for all eternity but one day I will get out of there for good!! Wrong Wrong Wrong!!! The devil has been able to get a big portion of the Church to get out of the word/prayer/the 5 keys especially its leaders, & in doing so he has been able to re-introduce many of these (old) heresies because of the great lack of sound discernment in the pulpit/pew alike! And out of all places Rob Bell has moved his church to California which is where they are now trying to pass a Bill or Law that would ban Literature against Homosexuality & possibly banning altogether the Bible itself because of what it has to say about it!!
FINAL COMMENTS: WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY ABOVE EX- HORTATION (2 Peter 1:2-11)?? VERY SIMPLY SAID, IF YOU WILL ALLOW THE HO- LY SPIRIT OF TRUTH TO CONVICT YOU OF ANY SIN, AS WELL AS DOING WHAT WE READ IN THE EXHORTATION ABOVE, YOU WILL NEVER FALL NOR STUMBLE NOR SIN NOR ERR NOR TRIP!!! SINCE THE HOLY SPIRIT IS “HOLY” AS WELL AS DWELLS INSIDE OF YOU, YOU SHOULD BE LIVING A “HOLY” LIFE AS WELL, WHI- CH MEANS A LIFE “SET APART” FROM THE WORLD & ITS INFLUENCES!!
++ NOTE: Don’t come and try to convince me that the Spirit who now dwells within me does not convict “believers” of “sin”, because even when I got “saved/sozod” from Hell i had also re- ceived some amazing deliverances (sozo) at that very same moment from some serious “sin(s)”, yet it did not stop there because for the next few years afterwards the same Spirit began to/kept on “convicting” me of other things that were not necessarily “sin” as in my “long hair/earrings/ high heel boots/tight jeans/junk food/wrong attitudes” etc!! And because of the freedom that I had experienced back on that great day in Quebec, it was kind of easy for Him to convict me of these things because I had actually “enjoyed” this new found freedom from “sin” making me fairly receptive when it came to other areas of my life that did not line up with my New Life in Christ etc., regarding my soul!! We must allow the Spirit to convict us of sin even though He is trying to do so every moment there is a need for it!! And unfortunately some of these things that I’m teaching on tonight is not “mainstream” yet it is out there because there are some very good churches/preachers etc. out there, but not enough of them!! I myself am surrounded by people that are “stumbling/falling” left right & center which is also everywhere in the church, because even according to many sound reliable Articles etc. on the Internet as well as Books being writ- ten, there is as much “adultery/divorce/fornication/cohabitating” etc. as well as “pornography” in the church as there is in the world! Pornography is one of those things that I’ve had a “holy hatred” for from the day I got saved & even to some degree before I got saved believe it or not! And not too long afterwards i began to realize that I was surrounded by so called “Christians” that even had the gift of tongues that were all caught up in it, & even more recently with my whole personal experience with someone that God had brought into my life to help one other in different areas!
And all of this leads me into this whole realm of what the word says about “crucifying the fle- sh” etc. which has to do with “mortification/transformation” via the 5 keys regarding the “old man/New Man” (Eph.4:22-24) etc., which has become one of my “pet doctrines” which is gre- atly lacking in the overall church which is why we’ve got the “problems” we have today & have had for Centuries, such as “error/sin/sexual misconduct” etc!! Supernatural deliverances or ex- periences from the Lord are great yet you need to protect them as well as building upon them or else you will most probably end up going back to your vomit! The devil himself will see to it! Yet I do believe the best/better way in getting your “deliverances” is via what some of us call “self deliverance” via the 5 keys yet most believers have no interest in this because of the time/ work/patience it can take! One of the ways that the devil is successful in getting you to believe something that is wrong is by getting you out of the word or getting you to wrongly divide the word of truth so that his bombardments upon your unrenewed mind will actually be successful!!
Mind renewal is a big part of walking in the Armor of God (Eph.6:10-18) so that you can stand successfully on those evil days when all of Hell decides to break loose over your “life/mind/bo- dy/family/finances/relationships/ministry/calling” etc!! Your soul (mind will & emotions) is the part of you that needs to be “sanctified/set apart” & not your human re-created spirit, & this is done via the word of truth (John 17:17) etc. & sowing it as a Seed of Mustard (Matt.13/Mark 4/Luke 8/James 1:21) etc. regarding the Parables of the So- wer! In the Greek we have the word “Hagios” (ἅγιος) which has been translated in the English Translations as “Saint/Sanctify/Holy” etc. all from the very same Greek word!! Therefore we need to get god’s people back into God’s word of truth so that that very same word can get on the inside of them/their soul so that their soul etc. can experience this “freedom/sanctification” since it’s only the word of truth that will make you free from all errors/deception/sin etc!!
FINAL NOTES: And one of the key characteristics of a true Reformer/Reformation is in doing all that it takes to get God’s people back into His word rightly divided etc., which is why the true Reformers of Centuries ago were despised/sought after/killed/persecuted so that people could remain in total bondage etc! Back then we had the “Roman Catholic Church” as the main church overall yet they claimed to have the final Interpretation/say so of the Bible which they did not, plus every- thing they taught or said during the “Mass” etc. was in Latin which hardly anyone could unders- tand like we still have in some areas today believe it or not! Even just a few years ago in North- ern Ontario where I was born they said the Mass in “Latin” yet in a “French” Community!!! Wow! It’s like me stepping into some church that only preaches in some language I don’t under- stand like Chinese etc!!? What do you think i would get out of it??? Zero/Nothing!! Which wo- uld be a royal waste of time especially if it was great sound preaching etc!! And this is why the Reformers from the past like Huss/Wyclif/Luther/Knox/Tyndale & so many more did what they did/became what they became yet many of them died because of this! William Tyndale wanted to make the Bible in its Original Languages (Hebrew/Greek) known/available to the Common Man in his Common Language which was “English” in England!!
DICTIONARY / LEXICON / WORD STUDIES
Strong’s Concordance / NT #40: ἅγιος
hagios: sacred, holy
Original Word: ἅγιος, ία, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Short Definition: set apart, holy, sacred
Definition: set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred.
40 hágios – properly, different (unlike), other (“otherness“), holy; for the believer, 40 (hágios) means “likeness of nature with the Lord” because “different from the world.”
The fundamental (core) meaning of 40 (hágios) is “different” – thus a temple in the 1st century was hagios (“holy”) because different from other buildings (Wm. Barclay). In the NT, 40 /hágios (“holy”) has the “technical” meaning “different from the world” because “like the Lord.”
[40 (hágios) implies something “set apart” and therefore “different (distinguished/distinct)” – i.e. “other,” because special to the Lord.]
Thayer’s Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 40: ἅγιος
ἅγιος, , (from τό ἀγός religious awe, reverence; ἄζω, ἅζομαι, to venerate, revere, especially the gods, parents (Curtius, § 118)), rare in secular authors; very frequent in the sacred writings; in the Sept. for קָדושׁ;
- properly reverend, worthy of veneration: τό ὄνομα τοῦ Θεοῦ, Luke 1:49; God, on account of his incomparable majesty, Revelation 4:8(Isaiah 6:3, etc.), equivalent to ἔνδοξος. Hence, used:
- of things which on account of some connection with God possess a certain distinction and claim to reverence, as places sacred to God which are not to be profaned, Acts 7:33; τόπος ἅγιος the temple, Matthew 24:15 (on which passage see βδέλυγμα, c.); Acts 6:13; Acts 21:28; the holy land or Palestine, 2 Macc. 1:29 2Macc. 2:18; τόἅγιον and τά ἅγια (Winer’s Grammar, 177 (167)) the temple, Hebrews 9:1, 24 (cf. Bleek on Heb. vol. ii. 2, p. 477f); specifically that part of the temple or tabernacle which is called ‘the holy place’ (מִקְדָּשׁ, Ezekiel 37:28; Ezekiel 45:18), Hebrews 9:2 (here Rec.st reads ἅγια); ἅγια ἁγίων (Winer’s Grammar, 246 (231), cf. Exodus 29:37; Exodus 30:10, etc.) the most hallowed portion of the temple, ‘the holy of holies,’ (Exodus 26:33 (cf. Josephus, Antiquities 3, 6, 4)), Hebrews 9:3, in reference to which the simple τά ἅγια is also used: Hebrews 9:8, 25; Hebrews 10:19; Hebrews 13:11; figuratively of heaven, Hebrews 8:2; Hebrews 9:8, 12; Hebrews 10:19; ἅγια πόλις Jerusalem, on account of the temple there, Matthew 4:5; Matthew 27:53; Revelation 11:2; Revelation 21:2; Revelation 22:19 (Isaiah 48:2; Nehemiah 11:1, 18(Complutensian LXX), etc.); τό ὄρος τό ἅγιον, because Christ’s transfiguration occurred there, 2 Peter 1:18; ἡ (Θεοῦ) ἅγιαδιαθήκη i. e. which is the more sacred because made by God himself, Luke 1:72; τό ἅγιον, that worshipful offspring of divine power, Luke 1:35; the blessing of the gospel, Matthew 7:6; ἁγιωτάτῃπίστις, faith (quae creditur i. e. the object of faith) which came from God and is therefore to be heeded most sacredly, Jude 1:20; in the same sense ἅγια ἐντολή, 2 Peter 2:21; κλῆσις ἅγια, because it is the invitation of God and claims us as his, 2 Timothy 1:9; ἅγιαιγραφαί (τά βιβλία τά ἅγια, 1 Macc. 12:9), which came from God and contain his Words, Romans 1:2.
- of persons whose services God employs; as for example, apostles, Ephesians 3:5; angels, 1 Thessalonians 3:13; Matthew 25:31 (Rec.); Revelation 14:10; Jude 1:14; prophets, Acts 3:21; Luke 1:70 (Wis. 11:1); (οἱ) ἅγιοι (τοῦ) Θεοῦ ἄνθρωποι, 2 Peter 1:21 (R G L Tr text); worthies of the O. T. accepted by God for their piety, Matthew 27:52; 1 Peter 3:5.
- set apart for God, to be, as it were, exclusively his; followed by a genitive or a dative: τῷ κυρίῳ, Luke 2:23; τοῦ Θεοῦ (equivalent to ἐκλεκτός τοῦ Θεοῦ) of Christ, Mark 1:24; Luke 4:34, and according to the true reading in John 6:69, cf. John 10:36; he is called also ὁ ἅγιος παῖς τοῦ Θεοῦ, Acts 4:30, and simply ὁ ἅγιος, 1 John 2:20. Just as the Israelites claimed for themselves the title οἱἅγιοι, because God selected them from the other nations to lead a life acceptable to him and rejoice in his favor and protection (Daniel 7:18, 22; 2 Esdr. 8:28), so this appellation is very often in the N. T. transferred to Christians, as those whom God has selected ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου(John 17:14, 16), that under the influence of the Holy Spirit they may be rendered, through holiness, partakers of salvation in the kingdom of God: 1 Peter 2:9 (Exodus 19:6), cf. Exodus 19:5; Acts 9:13, 32, 41; Acts 26:10; Romans 1:7; Romans 8:27; Romans 12:13; Romans 16:15; 1 Corinthians 6:1, 2; Philippians 4:21; Colossians 1:12; Hebrews 6:10; Jude 1:3; Revelation 5:8, etc.; (cf. B. D. American edition under the word ).
- of sacrifices and offerings; prepared for God with solemn rite, pure, clean (opposed to ἀκάθαρτος): 1 Corinthians 7:14 (cf. Ephesians 5:3); connected with ἄμωμος, Ephesians 1:4; Ephesians 5:27; Colossians 1:22; ἀπαρχή, Romans 11:16; θυσία, Romans 12:1. Hence,
- in a moral sense, pure, sinless, upright, holy: 1 Peter 1:16(Leviticus 19:2; Leviticus 11:44); 1 Corinthians 7:34; δίκαιος καίἅγιος, of John the Baptist, Mark 6:20; ἅγιος καί δίκαιος, of Christ, Acts 3:14; distinctively of him, Revelation 3:7; Revelation 6:10; of God pre-eminently, 1 Peter 1:15; John 17:11; ἅγιαι ἀναστροφαί, 2 Peter 3:11; νόμος and ἐντολή, i. e. containing nothing exceptionable, Romans 7:12; φίλημα, such a kiss as is a sign of the purest love, 1 Thessalonians 5:26; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; Romans 16:16. On the phrase τό ἅγιον πνεῦμα and τόπνεῦμα τό ἅγιον, see πνεῦμα, 4 a. Cf. Diestel, Die Heiligkeit Gottes, in Jahrbb. f. deutsch. Theol. iv., p. 1ff; (Baudissin, Stud. z. Semitisch. Religionsgesch. Heft ii., p. 3ff; Delitzsch in Herzog edition 2, see 714ff; especially) Cremer, Wörterbuch, 4te Aufl., p. 32ff (translation of 2nd edition, p. 84ff; Oehler in Herzog 19:618ff; Zezschwitz, Profangräcität as above with, p. 15ff; Trench, § lxxxviii; Campbell, Dissertations, diss. vi., part iv.; especially Schmidt, chapter 181).
Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
most holy, saint.
Strong’s Concordance (NT #1651: ἐλέγχω)
elegchó: to expose, convict, reprove
Original Word: ἐλέγχω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: elegchó Short Definition: I rebuke, expose
Definition: (a) I reprove, rebuke, discipline, (b) I expose, show to be guilty.
1651 elégxō – properly, to convince with solid, compelling evidence, especially to expose (prove wrong, connect).
Thayer’s Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1651: ἐλέγχω
ἐλέγχω; future ἐλέγξω; 1 aorist infinitive ἐλέγξαι, imperative ἔλεγξον; (passive, present ἐλέγχομαι; 1 aorist ἐλεγχθην); the Sept. for הוכִיחַ;
- to convict, refute, confute, generally with a suggestion of the shame of the person convicted (“ἐλέγχεινhateigentlichnichtdieBedeutung’tadeln,schmähen,zurechtweisen,’welcheihmdieLexikazuschreiben,sondernbedeutetnichtsalsüberführen(Schmidt, chapter 4: § 12)): τινα, of crime, fault, or error; of sin, 1 Corinthians 14:24; ἐλεγχόμενοι ὑπό τοῦ νόμου ὡςπαραβάται, James 2:9; ὑπό τῆς συνειδήσεως, John 8:9 R G(Philo, Works, ii., p. 649 (ed. Mang., vi. 203, Richter edition, fragment περί ἀναστάσεως καί κρίσεως) τό συνειδός ἔλεγχοςἀδέκαστος καί πάντων ἀψευδεστατος); followed by περί with the genitive of thing, John 8:46; John 16:8, and L T Tr WH in Jude 1:15 (Aristophanes, Plutarch, 574); contextually, by conviction to bring to light, to expose: τί, John 3:20, cf. 21; Ephesians 5:11, 13(Aristophanes ecclesiastical 485; τά κρυπτά, Artemidorus Daldianus, oneir. 1, 68; ἐπιστάμενος, ὡς εἰ καί λαθοι ἡ ἐπιβουλή καίμή ἐλεγχθειη, Herodian, 3, 12, 11 (4th edition, Bekker); others); used of the exposure and confutation of false teachers of Christianity, Titus 1:9, 13; ταῦτα ἔλεγχε, utter these things by way of refutation, Titus 2:15.
- to find fault with, correct;
- by word; to reprehend severely, chide, admonish, reprove: Jude 1:22 L T Tr text; 1 Timothy 5:20; 2 Timothy 4:2; τινα περί τίνος, Luke 3:19; contextually, to call to account, show one his fault,demand an explanation: τινα, from someone, Matthew 18:15.
- by deed; to chasten, punish (according to the translation of the Hebrew הוכִיחַ, Psalm 37:2 (), etc.; Wis. 12:2): Hebrews 12:5 (from Proverbs 3:11); Revelation 3:19. (On this word cf. J. C. Hare, The Mission of the Comforter, note L; Trench, § iv. Compare: ἐξελέγχω, διακατελεγχὡ(μαἰ.)
Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
convict, convince, rebuke, reprove.
Of uncertain affinity; to confute, admonish — convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke, reprove.